Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Summing Formula fields in Pivot Tables?

Hello,

I am trying to make a formula field that will add up 'Premium $' when my
'Status' field has a certain value and show that sum in the Data Area of a
Pivot Table report.
For example, I have this formula field:

= IF(Pipeline_Status= "In Pipeline",POL_PREMIUM,0)

Where 'Pipeline_Status' is a text field and 'POL_PREMIUM' is a currency
field in my Pivot Table source data. But, when I add the formula field to
the pivot table, I get '$0.00' for the value.
I would like to be able to evaluate the 'Pipeline_Status' field for
different values, and put the sum of the records that contain those values
side-by-side in the Data Area of the pivot table report. What am I doing
incorrectly here?
--
Pat Dools
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Not sure you're trying it via calculated fields. Aren't you able to get the
desired results directly and easily in the pivot if you place
"Pipeline_Status" into the ROW area, and "POL_PREMIUM" into the DATA area
(set to SUM)?
--
Max
Singapore
"Pat Dools" wrote:
I am trying to make a formula field that will add up 'Premium $' when my
'Status' field has a certain value and show that sum in the Data Area of a
Pivot Table report.
For example, I have this formula field:

= IF(Pipeline_Status= "In Pipeline",POL_PREMIUM,0)

Where 'Pipeline_Status' is a text field and 'POL_PREMIUM' is a currency
field in my Pivot Table source data. But, when I add the formula field to
the pivot table, I get '$0.00' for the value.
I would like to be able to evaluate the 'Pipeline_Status' field for
different values, and put the sum of the records that contain those values
side-by-side in the Data Area of the pivot table report. What am I doing
incorrectly here?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What I'm actually looking for is to simply present the 'Sum'
(dashboard-style) without showing any row values. So, each column would
simply represent the total of the sum of a calculated field that uses one (or
more) of the 'status' fields to obtain its value. Can I sum up data and
present it without having to have row values?
--
Pat Dools

"Pat Dools" wrote:
I am trying to make a formula field that will add up 'Premium $' when my
'Status' field has a certain value and show that sum in the Data Area of a
Pivot Table report.
For example, I have this formula field:

= IF(Pipeline_Status= "In Pipeline",POL_PREMIUM,0)

Where 'Pipeline_Status' is a text field and 'POL_PREMIUM' is a currency
field in my Pivot Table source data. But, when I add the formula field to
the pivot table, I get '$0.00' for the value.
I would like to be able to evaluate the 'Pipeline_Status' field for
different values, and put the sum of the records that contain those values
side-by-side in the Data Area of the pivot table report. What am I doing
incorrectly here?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Can I sum up data and present it without having to have row values?

Do you mean you want the PT to look something like this:

Sum of POL_PREMIUM Pipeline_Status
In Pipeline Completed Grand Total
Total 40 30 70

above assumes there are 2 statuses for "Pipeline_Status", ie:
In Pipeline, Completed

I got the above result by placing "Pipeline_Status" in COLUMN area
and POL_PREMIUM in DATA area (set to SUM)

If above helped in any way, click the YES button below