Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to default file save format to .xlsx in Excel?

I tried to change the file save format under Excel Options to .xlsx but it
only works on the current session. Once I close out and reopen, it switched
back to .xls.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I thought that XLSX is the default format for Excel 2007.

How are you saving?
If you open an XLS file then it will be saved in the same format unless you
choose SAVE AS

"Carina" wrote:

I tried to change the file save format under Excel Options to .xlsx but it
only works on the current session. Once I close out and reopen, it switched
back to .xls.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No. For some reason the default on my Excel 2007 is .xls. I can do file save
as or convert to .xlsx but it is annoying that everytime when i open up a new
excel session, i can only see 65,000 rows and in compatible mode.

"Carina" wrote:

I tried to change the file save format under Excel Options to .xlsx but it
only works on the current session. Once I close out and reopen, it switched
back to .xls.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you saying that even if you create a new workbook and save it for the
first time, it gets saved as XLS?

Pl. confirm.

Also describe the steps you take to save...

"Carina" wrote:

I tried to change the file save format under Excel Options to .xlsx but it
only works on the current session. Once I close out and reopen, it switched
back to .xls.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do you have a file named BOOK.xlt in your XLSTART folder lefy over from an
earlier version of Excel?

When I installed 2007 after 2003, 2007 used the BOOK.xlt I had stored for
2003.

Consequently all new workbooks in 2007 were 2003 mode.

I had to remove BOOK.xlt from the XLSTART folder in order to get the 2007
default workbook.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Carina" wrote:

I tried to change the file save format under Excel Options to .xlsx but it
only works on the current session. Once I close out and reopen, it switched
back to .xls.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sure you got the correct XLSTART folder?

You will have more than one.

The default for Excel's BOOK.xlt is

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

Gord

"Carina" wrote:

I tried to change the file save format under Excel Options to .xlsx but it
only works on the current session. Once I close out and reopen, it switched
back to .xls.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gord, Thanks for your replys. I checked under the path that you provided.
There aren't any files inside. I also did a search for "XLSTART" I have 2
hits under C:\Program Files\Microsoft Offices\Office 11 and Office 12 (
that's where i initially checked but no book.xlt). So, I search "Book.xlt"
under c:\ drive but no hit. Where else could it be?

"Carina" wrote:

I tried to change the file save format under Excel Options to .xlsx but it
only works on the current session. Once I close out and reopen, it switched
back to .xls.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One more try then I'm out of ideas.

Office ButtonExcel OptionsAdvancedGeneralAt start up, open all files in:

Do you have a path entered?

If so, do you have a blank workbook.xls stored in that folder?

Move it out and/or delete the path in the dialog box, which I always do with
any version of Excel.

Gord