Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel Formula Missing Cells Due To Hardware

Hi There,
Someone in my office has complained that, due to poor hardware sepcs (3ghz
P4 2gb RAM). When a large Excel sheet has a vlookup formula query a large
amount of data (100000 rows x 3 columns) sometimes it will display incorrect
information or not fully perform the forumla on random cells.
My understanding is that the forumla either completes, or it doesn't. I've
never heard of low spec hardware (in my opinion 3ghz isn't that lower spec
for excel) randomly causing formulas to display varied results.
All or nothing right?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

A Hardware can have aperformance issue but it will never be a hindrance.

Sometimes this happens with me also that vlookup doesn't get updated in all
cells

Give the comp some time.

Also, you got to a cell (say row 5000) there click f2 (used to edit a cell)
and hit enter... don't change anything

the comp will try to update all the cells above that (if not done already)
and try to reach your cell asap.

A general clerical answer.

If this heps you please remember to click "yes".
--

Kind Regards,
Satti Charvak

"confusssed" wrote:

Hi There,
Someone in my office has complained that, due to poor hardware sepcs (3ghz
P4 2gb RAM). When a large Excel sheet has a vlookup formula query a large
amount of data (100000 rows x 3 columns) sometimes it will display incorrect
information or not fully perform the forumla on random cells.
My understanding is that the forumla either completes, or it doesn't. I've
never heard of low spec hardware (in my opinion 3ghz isn't that lower spec
for excel) randomly causing formulas to display varied results.
All or nothing right?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

And to add to Satti's repsonse.

I've never seen this either (but I don't use xl2007 very often).

But I have seen that problems in my data make the results not match what I
expected. And I have seen the wrong formula mess up the results, too.

confusssed wrote:

Hi There,
Someone in my office has complained that, due to poor hardware sepcs (3ghz
P4 2gb RAM). When a large Excel sheet has a vlookup formula query a large
amount of data (100000 rows x 3 columns) sometimes it will display incorrect
information or not fully perform the forumla on random cells.
My understanding is that the forumla either completes, or it doesn't. I've
never heard of low spec hardware (in my opinion 3ghz isn't that lower spec
for excel) randomly causing formulas to display varied results.
All or nothing right?

Thanks!

--

Dave Peterson