claytorm

Default Hardware for optimum Excel performance

Hi,

I have several very large excel files (30MB+) which I need to update
and recalculate regularly. I currently do this on my 1.7GHz/256MB RAM/
20GB HD laptop. However, it takes a long time, and is susceptible to
crashing.

I want to buy a desktop machine specifically for optimised Excel
performance. What should I look out for - is RAM more important than
processing speed? I'd sooner not spend a huge amount of money.

A related question - I currently use Excel 2000. While I'm in the
process of upgrading, are later versions of Excel quicker?

Any suggestions most welcome.

Bertie.

--
claytorm
claytorm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=11610

Anne Troy

Quite honestly, I would rather see you optimize your workbooks instead of
your machine. If the amount of data is making the files 30+MB, then I would
be looking at getting my data into a proper database. Otherwise, perhaps
your files just need to be cleaned of residual "dirtyness". See:
http://www.officearticles.com/excel/...ft_excel .htm
The second article is provided because, often, moving worksheets to a new
workbook can reduce file bloating. Also, to my knowledge--no, higher
versions of Excel don't mean they're more efficient, but that's just
experience of use. I could be wrong. If I had to suggest anything regarding
hardware, I'd say upgrade to 512MB RAM, but I wouldn't go buy a new machine
'cause I don't think you'll be rewarded. Make sure your machine is running
as efficiently as possible by keeping it clean:
http://www.officearticles.com/misc/h...hard_drive.htm
Good luck!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com