beata

Default Manipulating large worksheets and hardware capabilities

Hi. I'm often in the position of using large (40,000 rows or more) sets of
data.

And I'm often merging the data with other data - which I prefer to do using
vlookup.

As often as not - this is a one time project - so I'm hesitant to move the
whole thing to Access (which is not supported in our company - nor is it as
user friendly in my opinion).

Any ideas on how to improve my hardware to reduce crashing?

I've upgraded to 528 mb of RAM

thanks,
beata

Dave O

From a hardware standpoint, the more RAM the better. From a software
standpoint, anything you can do to reduce "overhead" within Excel will
be useful to you. Overhead is any type of formatting: date / time /
numeric etc formats, colors, pictures or graphics, or anything else
that makes the spreadsheet visually appealing (or even just readable).
Also, you might disable any formulas and particularly array formulas
that you don't need specifically.

I agree that Access has a steeper learning curve- but it handles
databases and large datasets well. I have a number of thoughts
regarding that but they're all editorials, so I'll do us all a favor
and quit now!