Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Pasting article into Excel, wordwrapping lost

Using Excel 2002, Win2000... I've pasted into a spreadsheet some text from
an online article. The text in the article is in paragraphs and wordwrapped
with lines that are about 76 characters/spaces wide. When I pasted it in,
each paragraph became a long long line stretching across 50-70 columns. I'd
like to keep the text formatted as it was in the article so that each 76
character line stays visible on the screen (about 14 columns wide).

I tried format/cells/alignment/text control/wrap text but all that did was
squeeze the text into the first column. I'd like to know if there is a way
to paste this text/article into Excel and keep it formatted as it was in the
article so it can be read without having to scroll back and forth.

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When you bring it in the most likely thing that happens it that all the text
is in one cell the cell where you paste it but it appears to also be in the
adjacent cells. You can check this by moving one cell to the right and
looking at the formula bar. If it's blank then

1a. Select the imported column of data and choose Data, Text to Columns
The starts the Wizard, you will need to experiment with Delimited and Fixed
Width, most likely you would choose Fixed Width. You will need to experiment
with the option on the following steps.

Or, I have sometimes found this to work:
1b. Copy the data into Word and then copy it from Word into Excel.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"jbclem" wrote:

Using Excel 2002, Win2000... I've pasted into a spreadsheet some text from
an online article. The text in the article is in paragraphs and wordwrapped
with lines that are about 76 characters/spaces wide. When I pasted it in,
each paragraph became a long long line stretching across 50-70 columns. I'd
like to keep the text formatted as it was in the article so that each 76
character line stays visible on the screen (about 14 columns wide).

I tried format/cells/alignment/text control/wrap text but all that did was
squeeze the text into the first column. I'd like to know if there is a way
to paste this text/article into Excel and keep it formatted as it was in the
article so it can be read without having to scroll back and forth.

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
excel is a spreadsheet, not a text editor. it has some text capabilities
built in but it is not word nor write nor note pad. i think i would have
chosen word or write to paste an online artical but then you didn't specify
why you chose excel so i am confused.
based on what i know about excel's text capabilities, i would not expect
excel to display text in perfect paragraft form as seen on tv...er...online
artical.
what to do? play with it till it "looks" right.

my thoughts.
regards
FSt1