Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to Link drop-down list?

HI to all!

I want to know a way to link drop-down list in an excel sheet. Let me make
my question clearer by an example-
I have four lists
List_status having elements X, Y & Z
List_X having elements X1, X2, X3, X4, X5
List_Y having elements Y1, Y2, Y3, Y4, Y5
List_Z having elements Z1, Z2, Z3, Z4, Z5

Cell A1 has the drop-down list of List_Status. Cell B1 will aslo have a
drop-down list either of List_X or List_Y or List_Z based on the value chosed
from List_status, i.e. if the value of cell A1 is X, the cell B1 has the
drop-down list of List_X where I can choose any one element of List_X, and if
the value of cell A1 is Y, then the cell B1 has the drop-down list of List_Y
and so on.

Please let me know if I was not able to make my question clear to you.
In a hope to have reply
Deepak

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

First u need to define the list

Go to insert | name | define | names in workbook : status | refer to :
Give the range where X,Y&Z are stated.

now similarly define the names for X elements by giving the names in
workbook as "X"
and similarly for Y and Z

Cell A2 create drop down list | go to | data | validation | Allow :
list | source : =status | ok

For Cell B2 drop down list | go to | data | validation | allow : lst |
source : =indirect(A1) | ok ( give yes when pop up as source
currently evaluates to an error)

On Jan 28, 10:58*am, deepak wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Thank you very much, its working

I have no words to express my happiness. You cannot imagine how much you have
helped me. Thank you a lot. May God bless you and give you enough strength to
help others when they are in need.

I will let you knoe if I come with some problem in excel. Thank you once again
With regards
Deepak