Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How can I find a file that I save but can't seem to find

--
MF
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There are 3 methods I use

1) First try the Last used files in the application under File menu (at the
bottom).
2) If I know the day I last wrote to the file I perform a search from the
Window Explorer by date.
3) Perform a search by extension and or date.

"Marge" wrote:

--
MF

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried all three but it looks like the file is
gone. I saved it every half hour using the save icon then closed it. When I
went to retrive it this morning is was gone. I assumed it save since it did
not ask Do You Want To Save Before Closing.
--
MF

"Marge" wrote:

--
MF

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The file was saved, it is not on the drive you ae looking. You can try you
Waste Basket to see if you accidently deleted the file. The only way I loose
files if I recevied a file by e-mail and edited the file without renaming the
file. Otherwise, it did get saved. Maybe you saved it under a difference
name.

"Marge" wrote:

--
MF

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Actually, the first thing I would try would be a search for the file, make
sure you search everywere including hidden and system files. When you open a
spreadsheet from e-mail, It puts the spreadsheet in your "temporary internet
files" folder, These items routenely get removed with no chance of recovery.
In the future, either save the spreadsheet first by downloadsave instead of
downloadopen or as soon as you change the spreadsheet click "Save As"
instead of just the floppy Icon, when you "Save As" make sure you are in the
"My Documents" folder (or whichever folder you use for your documents)

"Marge" wrote:

--
MF

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you haven't purged your TIF folder you may find the file in there, but
sounds like you did a purge.

But have a look in one of the folders in this path.

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5\

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 07:08:01 -0800, Marge wrote:

I did edit a file from an e-mail. Are you saying that since I didn't give it
a new name I doomed with my efforts to find it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're not doomed. It just was saved wherever your e-mail program saves
attachments. I would go to the original e-mail, and reopen the attachment.
That should at least show you the path to the folder it uses.

Regards,
Fred.

"Marge" wrote:

--
MF

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Depending on the email client, re-opening the file could overwrite the
previously opened file and any changes made to that earlier version would be
lost.

Some email programs will use a counter (like filename[1].xls) and not overwrite
the files.

I'd open a different excel attachment with a different name to do this kind of
thing.

"Marge" wrote:

--
MF

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try going up one level and look through all the folders in that Content.ie5
folder.

There are quite a few (usually).

"Marge" wrote:

--