Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Change background color based on value in column A

Hello,
I have in column A options: A,B,C or D maybe more later.
depending on what is chosen is it possible change the background color of
the relevant row going across from column A,B,C,D,E and F but not the whole
row.

i.e. if a value in column A2 down to A200 or more would equal either A,B,C
or D then the background color would automaticlly change to red for A, blue
for B, green for C and yellow for D, etc

If possible is it possible to do this automatically as I add more info and
do a sort?

Thanks!

Terry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is possible but you can have only three different colors (four if you
count absence of any color or default color)

Select the range you want (say A1:F1000)
Choose Conditional Formatting
Choose Formula IS
enter the formula as
=$A1="A" and choose the formatting you want
Similary for second and third condtions, change A to B or C.

You can have different FONT color through Cell Formatting...

"JT Innovations" wrote:

Hello,
I have in column A options: A,B,C or D maybe more later.
depending on what is chosen is it possible change the background color of
the relevant row going across from column A,B,C,D,E and F but not the whole
row.

i.e. if a value in column A2 down to A200 or more would equal either A,B,C
or D then the background color would automaticlly change to red for A, blue
for B, green for C and yellow for D, etc

If possible is it possible to do this automatically as I add more info and
do a sort?

Thanks!

Terry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for repling to my question,
I did exactly what you mentioned but I cannot add new info and have excel
automaticlly make it the color for the appropriate letter in column A.

"JT Innovations" wrote:

Hello,
I have in column A options: A,B,C or D maybe more later.
depending on what is chosen is it possible change the background color of
the relevant row going across from column A,B,C,D,E and F but not the whole
row.

i.e. if a value in column A2 down to A200 or more would equal either A,B,C
or D then the background color would automaticlly change to red for A, blue
for B, green for C and yellow for D, etc

If possible is it possible to do this automatically as I add more info and
do a sort?

Thanks!

Terry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Copy the formatting from one of the row where it is working to the new rows
and beyond...

or Select the whole range (including the future ones) and apply the
conditional formula again.