Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JT Innovations JT Innovations is offline

Default Change background color based on value in column A

Thanks for repling to my question,
I did exactly what you mentioned but I cannot add new info and have excel
automaticlly make it the color for the appropriate letter in column A.

"Sheeloo" wrote:

This is possible but you can have only three different colors (four if you
count absence of any color or default color)

Select the range you want (say A1:F1000)
Choose Conditional Formatting
Choose Formula IS
enter the formula as
=$A1="A" and choose the formatting you want
Similary for second and third condtions, change A to B or C.

You can have different FONT color through Cell Formatting...

"JT Innovations" wrote:

I forgot to mention that I use excel 2003 Professional edition SP3.

"JT Innovations" wrote:

Hello,
I have in column A options: A,B,C or D maybe more later.
depending on what is chosen is it possible change the background color of
the relevant row going across from column A,B,C,D,E and F but not the whole
row.

i.e. if a value in column A2 down to A200 or more would equal either A,B,C
or D then the background color would automaticlly change to red for A, blue
for B, green for C and yellow for D, etc

If possible is it possible to do this automatically as I add more info and
do a sort?

Thanks!

Terry