Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Using text answer in a combo box in an @IF statement elsewhere

I learned to make a combo box from another thread. Thank you! I reference
the text answer in the box in an @IF statement in another cell but it does
not "read" the answer and calculate accordingly. I am trying to say "if the
answer is "yes", then multiply the value in one cell by the value in another;
if the answer is "no", then multiply the value in the one cell by a different
cell.
@IF(c13="Yes",g13*h13,g13*i13). Before I made the combo box, and just had
data validation, it worked and recognized the text. I wanted the combo box
so people would know they needed to select one of two answers. Does anyone
know what I need to do to make it work? Thank you.
--
Gord
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
is C13 your linked cell? if so, it should work. if not, what is your liked
cell?

@IF is lotus. excel uses =IF.

Regards
FSt1

"Gordon" wrote:

I learned to make a combo box from another thread. Thank you! I reference
the text answer in the box in an @IF statement in another cell but it does
not "read" the answer and calculate accordingly. I am trying to say "if the
answer is "yes", then multiply the value in one cell by the value in another;
if the answer is "no", then multiply the value in the one cell by a different
cell.
@IF(c13="Yes",g13*h13,g13*i13). Before I made the combo box, and just had
data validation, it worked and recognized the text. I wanted the combo box
so people would know they needed to select one of two answers. Does anyone
know what I need to do to make it work? Thank you.
--
Gord

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

c13 is the combo box with the text answer. I don't think I have a "linked
cell". I'm simply saying in the other cell that IF the text says "yes", then
I want the value in the other column to reflect the value plus a % increase.
Yes, I continue to use @if from Lotus but it's always worked. A bad habit.
I'll change it. (If the answer is "no", then I just want an unchanged # of
tons in the =IF cell, if the answer is "yes" then I'm multiplying the value
in the cell by a percent increase). Do I need to set up a linked cell?
--
Gord

"Gordon" wrote:

I learned to make a combo box from another thread. Thank you! I reference
the text answer in the box in an @IF statement in another cell but it does
not "read" the answer and calculate accordingly. I am trying to say "if the
answer is "yes", then multiply the value in one cell by the value in another;
if the answer is "no", then multiply the value in the one cell by a different
cell.
@IF(c13="Yes",g13*h13,g13*i13). Before I made the combo box, and just had
data validation, it worked and recognized the text. I wanted the combo box
so people would know they needed to select one of two answers. Does anyone
know what I need to do to make it work? Thank you.
--
Gord

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
go to disign mode. right click the combobox then click properties.
scorll down the left side of the property box to "Linked cell". enter C13 in
the right silde.
I tried @if but excel keep converting it to an = sign. i'm sure that this is
a conversion thing. At one time excel copied lotus on everything even down to
the date bug lotus had. but excel has stopped supporting lotus in 2007. not
sure if @if or any of the @functions of lotus will work anymore. Oh well.
sure wish excel would copy some more of lotus. perticularly the format box.
it don't have an ok button and formats just change on the sheet as you check
them off in the format box. and it's modeless. sigh.

regards
FSt1

"Gordon" wrote:

I learned to make a combo box from another thread. Thank you! I reference
the text answer in the box in an @IF statement in another cell but it does
not "read" the answer and calculate accordingly. I am trying to say "if the
answer is "yes", then multiply the value in one cell by the value in another;
if the answer is "no", then multiply the value in the one cell by a different
cell.
@IF(c13="Yes",g13*h13,g13*i13). Before I made the combo box, and just had
data validation, it worked and recognized the text. I wanted the combo box
so people would know they needed to select one of two answers. Does anyone
know what I need to do to make it work? Thank you.
--
Gord

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you so very much! I couldn't link it to my output cell directly, but
did link them to an empty column, where I could then use an IF statement to
compute the result. Seems a roundabout way but it works!

The @IF still works thank goodness. The other functions are problematic for
me. I learned on Lotus and was really good at it. When we switched to
excel, thank goodness they accommodated me! I've got some more learning to
do now though. I'd never done the data validation before let alone the combo
box. You guys are really helpful. Thanks!
--
Gord

"Gordon" wrote:

I learned to make a combo box from another thread. Thank you! I reference
the text answer in the box in an @IF statement in another cell but it does
not "read" the answer and calculate accordingly. I am trying to say "if the
answer is "yes", then multiply the value in one cell by the value in another;
if the answer is "no", then multiply the value in the one cell by a different
cell.
@IF(c13="Yes",g13*h13,g13*i13). Before I made the combo box, and just had
data validation, it worked and recognized the text. I wanted the combo box
so people would know they needed to select one of two answers. Does anyone
know what I need to do to make it work? Thank you.
--
Gord

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

glad to help.
i started on lotus too. before windows...before the mouse. microsoft let
lotus develope the GUI version of spresdsheets then copied, copied, copied.
regards
FSt1