Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Verify Analysis ToolPak with VBA

I created a workbook that requires the Analysis ToolPak and Analysis
ToolPak-VBA add-ins to function. I've discovered that many of the people I
gave the workbook to do not have those add-ins enabled, so they get the
#NAME? error.

Is there a way to automatically check for the Analysis ToolPak? I am
thinking that if the ToolPak is not enabled, a message box would pop up
telling the user what the problem is, and how to install the ToolPak.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try to enter an ATP function into a free cell and see if it errs or not.

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Horatio J. Bilge, Jr." wrote in
message ...
I created a workbook that requires the Analysis ToolPak and Analysis
ToolPak-VBA add-ins to function. I've discovered that many of the people I
gave the workbook to do not have those add-ins enabled, so they get the
#NAME? error.

Is there a way to automatically check for the Analysis ToolPak? I am
thinking that if the ToolPak is not enabled, a message box would pop up
telling the user what the problem is, and how to install the ToolPak.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What Harald is suggesting (I think!) is that this can be just as well
handled procedurally, when you send out the workbook, send them instructions
on how to check (as Harald suggests) and how to correct.

Don't complicate the code unnecessarily.

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Harald Staff" wrote in message
Try to enter an ATP function into a free cell and see if it errs or not.

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Horatio J. Bilge, Jr." wrote
in message ...
I created a workbook that requires the Analysis ToolPak and Analysis
ToolPak-VBA add-ins to function. I've discovered that many of the people
gave the workbook to do not have those add-ins enabled, so they get the
#NAME? error.

Is there a way to automatically check for the Analysis ToolPak? I am
thinking that if the ToolPak is not enabled, a message box would pop up
telling the user what the problem is, and how to install the ToolPak.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 21:17:02 +0530, Horatio J. Bilge, Jr.
wrote:

I created a workbook that requires the Analysis ToolPak and Analysis
ToolPak-VBA add-ins to function. I've discovered that many of the people
gave the workbook to do not have those add-ins enabled, so they get the
#NAME? error.

Is there a way to automatically check for the Analysis ToolPak? I am
thinking that if the ToolPak is not enabled, a message box would pop up
telling the user what the problem is, and how to install the ToolPak.

Thanks!

Hi,

Maybe you can modify the code he
http://www.cads-sierraleone.org/microsoftexcelltips.htm
(Look under "CHECKING IF YOUR ADD-INS ARE ADDED")

Hope this helps

--
Thanks,
Victor

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote:

I created a workbook that requires the Analysis ToolPak and Analysis
ToolPak-VBA add-ins to function. I've discovered that many of the
people I
gave the workbook to do not have those add-ins enabled, so they get the
#NAME? error.

Is there a way to automatically check for the Analysis ToolPak? I am
thinking that if the ToolPak is not enabled, a message box would pop up
telling the user what the problem is, and how to install the ToolPak.

Thanks!

Hi,

Maybe you can modify the code he
http://www.cads-sierraleone.org/microsoftexcelltips.htm
(Look under "CHECKING IF YOUR ADD-INS ARE ADDED")

Hope this helps

On reflection, I agree with what Bob and Haral say. Sending out
instructions should be the way to do it.

--
Thanks,
Victor

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could take it out of their hands and enable the add-ins yourself.

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
AddIns("Analysis ToolPak").Installed = True
AddIns("Analysis ToolPak - VBA").Installed = True
End Sub

Be sure to change to False on closing the workbook.

If you just want a message as you asked use this example code in
workbook_open

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Set a = AddIns("Analysis ToolPak")
If a.Installed = True Then
MsgBox "The ATP add-in is installed"
Else
MsgBox "The ATP add-in is not installed"

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 07:47:02 -0800, Horatio J. Bilge, Jr.
wrote:

I created a workbook that requires the Analysis ToolPak and Analysis
ToolPak-VBA add-ins to function. I've discovered that many of the people I
gave the workbook to do not have those add-ins enabled, so they get the
#NAME? error.

Is there a way to automatically check for the Analysis ToolPak? I am
thinking that if the ToolPak is not enabled, a message box would pop up
telling the user what the problem is, and how to install the ToolPak.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That only works if it was installed when Excel was installed.

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

wrote:

I created a workbook that requires the Analysis ToolPak and Analysis
ToolPak-VBA add-ins to function. I've discovered that many of the people I
gave the workbook to do not have those add-ins enabled, so they get the
#NAME? error.

Is there a way to automatically check for the Analysis ToolPak? I am
thinking that if the ToolPak is not enabled, a message box would pop up
telling the user what the problem is, and how to install the ToolPak.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Horatio J. Bilge, Jr. -

You may need to have two sets of VBA code or instructions depending on the
version of Excel. The functions provided by the pre-2007 Analysis ToolPak
are native worksheet functions in Excel 2007 (therefore not requiring the
ATP add-in).

- Mike Middleton
http://www.MikeMiddleton.com

"Horatio J. Bilge, Jr." wrote in
message ...
I created a workbook that requires the Analysis ToolPak and Analysis
ToolPak-VBA add-ins to function. I've discovered that many of the people I
gave the workbook to do not have those add-ins enabled, so they get the
#NAME? error.

Is there a way to automatically check for the Analysis ToolPak? I am
thinking that if the ToolPak is not enabled, a message box would pop up
telling the user what the problem is, and how to install the ToolPak.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I liked the sound of using VBA to enable the ToolPak, but I guess your
suggestion of notification is the best. If a user didn't install the ATP
during setup, I would have to go the simple notification route anyway. I just
added the appropriate instructions to a "Help" sheet in the workbook.

Thanks for the help.
~ Horatio