Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sorting Data

Hi all,

I have a something that I would have thought Excel could handle but have no
idea how to actually do it.

I have an excel sheet with 20,000 rows which is populated with a unique ID
number and a phone number however rather than each phone number being placed
on the same line that corresponds with each phone number it has been placed
on the next line down ie

Unique ID Phone Number
123 0161 555 2269
123 0161 555 1234
123

and I need it to be

Unique ID Phone Number
123 0161 555 2269 0161 555 1234

thanks in advance

Michael
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

If the data is always in groups of 3 lines as posted,
then you could easily draw it out this way

Assume data in A2:B2 down
In C2: =OFFSET($A$2,ROWS($1:1)*3-3,)
In D2: =OFFSET($B$2,ROWS($1:1)*3-3+COLUMNS($A:A)-1,)
Copy D2 to F2. Select C2:F2, fill down as far as required to exhaust the
data, until zeros are returned. Cols C to F returns the desired results.
--
Max
Singapore
"Michael" wrote:
I have a something that I would have thought Excel could handle but have no
idea how to actually do it.

I have an excel sheet with 20,000 rows which is populated with a unique ID
number and a phone number however rather than each phone number being placed
on the same line that corresponds with each phone number it has been placed
on the next line down ie

Unique ID Phone Number
123 0161 555 2269
123 0161 555 1234
123

and I need it to be

Unique ID Phone Number
123 0161 555 2269 0161 555 1234

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,
Assuming that the data is already sorted
Name the headers below the data table ie in the blanks cells after the table
is over.
Unique id and phone numbers
Then under unique id you can put the number. Then select & copy the phone
numbers
then under the header phone number put the cursor on the cell and right
clickPaste specialcheck the transpose boxOk this will paste the data
and will give you the result as expressed by you in your example.
--
_______________________
Click "Yes" if it helps

"Michael" wrote:

Hi all,

I have a something that I would have thought Excel could handle but have no
idea how to actually do it.

I have an excel sheet with 20,000 rows which is populated with a unique ID
number and a phone number however rather than each phone number being placed
on the same line that corresponds with each phone number it has been placed
on the next line down ie

Unique ID Phone Number
123 0161 555 2269
123 0161 555 1234
123

and I need it to be

Unique ID Phone Number
123 0161 555 2269 0161 555 1234

thanks in advance

Michael

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

But I'm not sure that's practical here, given the 20,000 rows,
ie OP would have to repeat the steps ~ 6,700 times ?
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
Downloads:22,500 Files:370 Subscribers:66
xdemechanik
---
"Suleman Peerzade" wrote in
message ...