Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default auto completion

the auto completion is not searching the entire document fro values entered
earlier in a coloum rather it is searching only a part of of the column and
is giving me values based on that can any one please help..???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

see your other post

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"anirban" wrote in message
the auto completion is not searching the entire document fro values
entered
earlier in a coloum rather it is searching only a part of of the column
and
is giving me values based on that can any one please help..???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Jan 19, 9:18*am, anirban wrote:
the auto completion is not searching the entire document fro values entered
earlier in a coloum rather it is searching only a part of of the column and
is giving me values based on that can any one please help..???

There is probably a blank cell somewhere in the column.

When I put "red" in A1, leave A2 blank, "green" in A3 and "blue" in
A4, then in A5 autocomplete ignores the "red" but works for "green"
and "blue"
You can get it to look past the blanks by first inserting a new column
next to the one you are wanting to autocomplete then type absolutely
anything into the new column's top most cell and fill it down as far
as needed. You can then hide that new column. You should find that
your column will autocomplete using all previous entries once it is
next to a column that has no blank cells in the same area.
I have no idea why this works.

Ken Johnson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It doesn't solve the other problem Biff mentioned where excel only
looks so far. 51 cells away seems to be the limit on my machine (XP
and xl2003).

Ken Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ken,

I had never noticed that there was a limit on number of cells till
AutoComplete works...

I tested out with Excel 2007 on XP... it seems that it takes more time to
suggest the entry farther you go away... i tested upto 450... somewhere after
400 I had to type first two letters to get the suggestion...

It would be great to get more information on how it is implemented in Excel...

"Ken Johnson" wrote:

It doesn't solve the other problem Biff mentioned where excel only
looks so far. 51 cells away seems to be the limit on my machine (XP
and xl2003).

Ken Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Ken Johnson" wrote:
It doesn't solve the other problem Biff mentioned where excel only
looks so far. 51 cells away seems to be the limit on my machine (XP
and xl2003).

Ken Johnson

Hi Sheelo 95 64,

That's interesting. I never thought to test with more than one letter.
With Abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz at the top AutoComplete in row 700
didn't kick in until the x was typed:-).

Ken Johnson