Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Linking multiple cells so that any can be changed to affect all

Is there a way to link multiple cells in Excel 2003 in such a way that if I
change the data in any of the cells, all the rest of the linked cells will
change to that value as well? I don't want to just have one cell reference
another, I want multiple cells to reference each other so that any one can be
changed without breaking the link. I know simply using reference formulas
(like =$A$1) will not work as an error about circular reference will appear.
Is there a feature like this? Is there some long formula or a macro that
could do that?
The reason is that I have a big amount of data in an Excel file which is
shown in different ways with different additional info in different
worksheets of that file. I want to avoid having to change the same cell in
all the worksheets involving it. Currently I linked the cells in some of the
worksheets to one main one, but sometimes me and other people using the file
accidentally change the linked cells in the wrong worksheet, breaking the
links. I could probably try some sort of database software designed for this,
but will it would take a huge amount of work to make a sufficiently good
replacement.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What you're describing would only be possible with very complicated and
cumbersome to maintain macros. But I understand the frustration. I can
offer two suggestions:

1) Highlight ALL the cells on a sheet, press CTRL-1 to open the Format
Cell box, click on PROTECTION, and UNCHECK the protection box.

You've just opened up all cells for editing, even when the sheet is
protected. So, now go through and highlight the cells you want
protected, and REPROTECT just those cells. When you're done, click on
Tools Protection Protect Sheet.

Now, your users can still use the sheet, but those cells you want left
alone can't be changed.

2) Softly color the background of cells you want users to leave alone,
like a soft yellow (not the nasty bright yellow). Instruct your users
that those cells should not be edited. Colored cells are to be left
alone.

Good luck controlling those users!

--
JBeaucaire