Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Summing data by month

I have random dates in one column (formatted as: April 13, 2009) and dollar
values in the column next to the dates. How can I sum, for example, all
April dollars or all June dollars? I have another tab that is summarizing
the data by month. So, the data is summarized in this tab with each month
alpha listed ("April", or "June"). Can I sum all "April" data that is
formatted as mm/dd/yyyy?
Thanks,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=SUMPRODUCT(--MONTH(A2:A200)=4),B2:B200)

should do it for April

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Valerie" wrote in message
I have random dates in one column (formatted as: April 13, 2009) and
dollar
values in the column next to the dates. How can I sum, for example, all
April dollars or all June dollars? I have another tab that is summarizing
the data by month. So, the data is summarized in this tab with each month
alpha listed ("April", or "June"). Can I sum all "April" data that is
formatted as mm/dd/yyyy?
Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Here you can use pivot table.

In layout of the pivot table, take date into row, and dollor into data

then finish the pivot table

after finishing the pivot, right click on the date in pivot table, click on
Group and Show Details, click Group.

In Grouping dialog box, select the option months and click on OK

this will return the result you want

Deepali Joshi

"Valerie" wrote:

I have random dates in one column (formatted as: April 13, 2009) and dollar
values in the column next to the dates. How can I sum, for example, all
April dollars or all June dollars? I have another tab that is summarizing
the data by month. So, the data is summarized in this tab with each month
alpha listed ("April", or "June"). Can I sum all "April" data that is
formatted as mm/dd/yyyy?
Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Oops, good spot!