Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2007 not opening files

I've read a number of posts & answers on this topic but have not found
anything that will work. When opening an Excel file, for example in Windows
Explorer, the Excel app opens but the file does not. Since this is Excel
2007, there is no "Menu" bar, nor a "Tools" menu to navigate. I've looked in
the Excel Options but the only thing I have found similar to the "Ignore
Other Apps" is "Ignore Other Apps that use DDE". But that box is empty.
I've also tried "excel /unregserver" and then "excel /regserver" but no help
there either.

Any other ideas? Thank you very much in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

The simple solution is to open the file from inside of Excel.

Is the file an Excel file, and what version of Excel - xls or xlsx. You may
need to change the file association in windows.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"JohnS" wrote:

I've read a number of posts & answers on this topic but have not found
anything that will work. When opening an Excel file, for example in Windows
Explorer, the Excel app opens but the file does not. Since this is Excel
2007, there is no "Menu" bar, nor a "Tools" menu to navigate. I've looked in
the Excel Options but the only thing I have found similar to the "Ignore
Other Apps" is "Ignore Other Apps that use DDE". But that box is empty.
I've also tried "excel /unregserver" and then "excel /regserver" but no help
there either.

Any other ideas? Thank you very much in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Shane and thanks for the prompt reply.

Yes, I realize the easy way would be to browse to and open the file after
Excel opens. But, I'm thinking that "it should just work", and open the file
when I double click on it.

yes, the files are Excel files, with a *.xls file extension.

thanks again for your help.