Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default return cursor to previous cell?

My cursor keeps skipping to a cell miles away from where my data is; is there
a keystroke or F key that will send it back to the previous cell so I don't
have to mess around with scrolling or Ctrl+Home? (The skipping problem is
probably because I have a crooked pinky finger)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Threeoutside -
one thing you can use is to "Undo" the last change followed by "Redo". Then
your cursor is back in its place. With shortcuts <CtrlZ, followed by <CtrlY

If that is not good enough, create a quick macro that does the above for
you, or you can solve it in a different way (PreviousCell.Select)

rdwj

"threeoutside" wrote:

My cursor keeps skipping to a cell miles away from where my data is; is there
a keystroke or F key that will send it back to the previous cell so I don't
have to mess around with scrolling or Ctrl+Home? (The skipping problem is
probably because I have a crooked pinky finger)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Wow, thanks for responding so fast! I tried your suggestion, but it appears
to me that it only works if something has been entered in the new, far-away
cell. Looks like the cursor just flies off yonder and nothing is entered in
its landing-site, then Ctrl-Z/Ctrl-Y just yield me dull thinking sounds.
Likewise hitting "Undo-redo."

Thanks for the try, anyway!
Terry

"threeoutside" wrote:

My cursor keeps skipping to a cell miles away from where my data is; is there
a keystroke or F key that will send it back to the previous cell so I don't
have to mess around with scrolling or Ctrl+Home? (The skipping problem is
probably because I have a crooked pinky finger)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That's the opposite of what I'm seeing. The cursor jumps to a faraway cell,
with nothing entered in the new cell. Ctrl-Z/Ctrl-Y do not return it to the
last cell where I've entered something. It doesn't move it at all.

?? What am I doing wrong?

Terry
(and thanks again!)

"rdwj" wrote:

this will return the cursor to the cell where you have last entered
something....it will NOT work if something has been entered in the new,
far-away cell....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

The real question is why is the cursor moving miles away? what key are you
pressing when the cursor move? The cursor won't move on its own unless there
is code in the file.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"rdwj" wrote:

this will return the cursor to the cell where you have last entered
something....it will NOT work if something has been entered in the new,
far-away cell....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

I should have added - there is no keyboard shortcut or command to move the
cursor to the previous location.

But what good would it be if the cursor keeps jumping back to that cell
"miles away"

You must be doing something to trigger this, give us more details. Is it
moving to a random location or a specific cell. What keys are you pressing
before this happens or what command are you using?

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"threeoutside" wrote:

My cursor keeps skipping to a cell miles away from where my data is; is there
a keystroke or F key that will send it back to the previous cell so I don't
have to mess around with scrolling or Ctrl+Home? (The skipping problem is
probably because I have a crooked pinky finger)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Shane,

Yes, that's a very logical question. I don't really know. I get to ripping
data into the sheet and all of a sudden I'm in cell ZZ66694 or somewhere. But
it's always when I'm trying to advance from a cell (in which I may or may NOT
have entered data, right after arriving there via the Home key) to the next
cell via the Tab key. Instead of the nice, familiar next-door neighbor I'm
suddenly looking at Pbr#it!yzil%fid from Mars and wondering how I got there.

I'll boil it down:

Home (to get back to the beginning of the next row to start entering the
next record)
There I either enter data in the first cell, or not
Tab (to move to the next cell)
Where am I??? (suddenly in a cell with a VERY high address out in the toonies)

Funny there *isn't* a go-back function - I can't be the only person ever to
have this problem...

Terry
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yoo hoo! It just happened again, and this time the Redo button worked. It
probably did before, too, but it makes the "redone" cell the top-left corner
cell then, and I probably didn't realize I was back where I wanted to be.

Thanks for you help - it's so much less frustrating when someone is willing
to help out!

Terry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I would guess you have ToolsOptionsTransition options enabled.

If your crooked pinky hits the Tab key that will take you miles away and
CTRL + z will not "undo" that action.

Uncheck those options, especially Transition Navigation Keys.

BTW..........years ago I had a friend who got heavily into Judo.

His previously broken and crooked Pinky kept getting caught up in his
opponents Gi so he had it surgically removed.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP