Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default modify drop down list

How can I add to an existing drop down list? Is it possible to change the
cells/number of cells that are part of an exisiting list?

Jean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm going to assume from the way you phrased the question that your drop down
list was created using Data Validation and selecting a bunch of cells that
had information in them to be the entries in the list?

If so, it's easy to manage the list - a little difficult to describe the
process.

Choose all of the cells in the list. With them all highlighted; click in
the Name Box. The Name Box is the text box just above the [A] column
identifier that shows the address of the active cell. Type a name for the
list into that area. The name can't have spaces in it, something like
myDataList or an equally/more meaningful name should be used. At the end of
the name press the [Enter] key - if you don't, then the name won't stick.
Remember the name (although from here on if you select the list of cells, its
name will appear in the Name Box).

Now, in the cell for data validation, you choose the "List" for the Allow
option, and for the Source you type in an equal symbol and the name of your
list, as
=myDataList

That's it. Now, if you need to add to the list you can go into the area
defined as myDataList and insert a new cell (be sure you are within it, not
above or below it) and add more entries.

This method has an added benefit that the list that makes up the source for
the drop down does not have to be on the same worksheet as the Data Validated
cell.

I hope I interpreted your question properly, if not, tell us what kind of
drop down you're talking about - from the Forms toolbar or from the Toolbox?