Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Eliminating extra spaces in mail merge with Excel/Publisher

I'm using an Excel spreadsheet as a database. It has columns for member's
first name, member's last name, spouse's first name, and spouse's last neme
(some spouses retain their maiden names). I have a mail merge set up in my
Publisher document, but when there is no spouse's first or last name (i.e.,
unmarried or widowed member), the member's first name and last name are
printed with an extra space between them when I do the merge. Is there a way
to get rid of this extra space?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dlw dlw is offline

that would be an option in Publisher, not Excel, in my version, I don't see
where you can suppress blank fields

"oldtimer43" wrote:

I'm using an Excel spreadsheet as a database. It has columns for member's
first name, member's last name, spouse's first name, and spouse's last neme
(some spouses retain their maiden names). I have a mail merge set up in my
Publisher document, but when there is no spouse's first or last name (i.e.,
unmarried or widowed member), the member's first name and last name are
printed with an extra space between them when I do the merge. Is there a way
to get rid of this extra space?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dlw dlw is offline

upon further review, in the publisher Print Merge screen, there is a check
box to not print empty lines....