Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
caustin

Default How to remove spaces in mail merge

Here's the deal, we merge excel columns into address labels. Everything
works great. Problem is when we have an address where there's no first
or last name, just a company name. WE set up the labels like this:

<<First <<Last
<<Company
<<Address etc

When there's no first or last name, the space that we manually insert
in word remains there, so that when the company name gets moved up to
the top line it ends up looking like this:

Company X
123 Main Street
Anytown, CA

The company name is indented by that one space. Is there any way to
get Word (or Excel) to ignore that space if there's no first name and
last name?

--
caustin
caustin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35200

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Martin P

The solution is in Word, in the mail merge document. Go to Insert Word Field
in the mail merge toolbar. In the dropdown list choose If ... then ... else
..... Choose your first name field under Field Name. Under Comparison, choose
"is blank". Then enter nothing and a space in the other two areas.

"caustin" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
caustin

thanks so much, that worked perfectly!