Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default prevent the over-write

I have a public workbook that is updated by other users. One of the
worksheets is being deleted. I have protected the worksheet but that didnt
solve the problem. I believe someone is coping the workbook to a local drive
or some other location, deleting the worksheet and then overwriting the
original workbook. I can prevent the file from being deleted with special
permissions but I cant prevent the over-write. Is there a way to protect
the structure of the workbook and keep it public?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

flex-drop wrote:

I have a public workbook that is updated by other users. One of the
worksheets is being deleted. I have protected the worksheet but that
didnt solve the problem. I believe someone is coping the workbook
to a local drive or some other location, deleting the worksheet and
then overwriting the original workbook. I can prevent the file from
being deleted with special permissions but I cant prevent the
over-write. Is there a way to protect the structure of the workbook
and keep it public?

That is more a function of the OS environment you are using, whether it
is MS or Novell. Your administrator can set the permissions on the
file or folder based on groups. One group can delete, edit, update or
replace. Another gorup can only view. Talk to your Admin.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Chris thanks for the input.

I failed to you use the phrase idiot proof. Meaning, the file is being
over-written by someone with permission to write to the file.

So although the network administrators, in our case Novell, could apply some
type of properties to this file, theyre not going to do it for one file. I
could assign special properties to individuals but I will still have the
unknown idiot working on the workbook (they are probably not aware of what
theyre doing.)

This forum has many references to various permissions and security options
for worksheets and cells. I have attempted to setup a combination of these
Excel properties but I havent been able to crack the code, I always end up
with too much locked. Im hoping someone can share a common experience that
has a solution. I dont have a lot of experience at this level and I
mistakenly thought it would be easy.

"Chris Premo" wrote:

flex-drop wrote:

I have a public workbook that is updated by other users. One of the
worksheets is being deleted. I have protected the worksheet but that
didnt solve the problem. I believe someone is coping the workbook
to a local drive or some other location, deleting the worksheet and
then overwriting the original workbook. I can prevent the file from
being deleted with special permissions but I cant prevent the
over-write. Is there a way to protect the structure of the workbook
and keep it public?

That is more a function of the OS environment you are using, whether it
is MS or Novell. Your administrator can set the permissions on the
file or folder based on groups. One group can delete, edit, update or
replace. Another gorup can only view. Talk to your Admin.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

--

The only other option I can think of is to create a different workbook
for each individual that you need data from and then link to those

Would that work???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Chris Premo" wrote:

flex-drop wrote:

[...]

Thanks Chris, I had already thought about your suggestion but I didn't want to face it. We will either do this or try some type of dataBase if the report is going to be permanent.