Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Opening Excel

Excel does not launch the spread sheets when prompted from an email or a
drive area if the program is not opened. The file can be retreived through
the open command. IE--If I go into "my computer" and open the C drive and
try to access the excel file from there, it will not launch. Is there a
setting we need to change?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double clicking on
the file in windows explorer:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets some of the windows registry to
excel's factory defaults.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave, In Excel 2007, I do not see that the tool options is available. In
properties, I did not see the "Ignore other applications". I also went to
the start menu|run/excel/unregserver, and it indicated the file did not
exist. Any other suggestions?

kcaremore wrote:

Excel does not launch the spread sheets when prompted from an email or a
drive area if the program is not opened. The file can be retreived through
the open command. IE--If I go into "my computer" and open the C drive and
try to access the excel file from there, it will not launch. Is there a
setting we need to change?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Office button|Excel Options|Advanced Category|General section (near the bottom)
Uncheck: Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)

I think you typed in the wrong command in that Run dialog.

Make sure you include a space between "excel" and "/unregserver" (and
"/Unregserver"). (I _think_ this still works in xl2007--that doesn't mean that
it'll fix the problem, only that that command will run.)