Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default formula not calculating right

Hello in excel 2002
list price Units Discount Price
100 2 10.00% 80.00
columns a b c d consecutively.
this the formula I have in column D =A3-(A3*C3)*B3 result should be
180.00 . I get 80.00 How do I correct the formula ?
thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't know how arithmetic works in your country, but in the normal world:
=100-(100*10%)*2
=100-10*2
=80

What did you want to calculate if it wasn't
=A3-(A3*C3)*B3 ?
--
David Biddulph

"Marilyn" wrote in message
Hello in excel 2002
list price Units Discount Price
100 2 10.00% 80.00
columns a b c d consecutively.
this the formula I have in column D =A3-(A3*C3)*B3 result should be
180.00 . I get 80.00 How do I correct the formula ?
thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you want to ask a different question, which *would* give an answer of
180, you could calculate
=(100-10)*2 instead of =100-10*2
so if that is what you want you could change
=A3-(A3*C3)*B3 to =(A3-(A3*C3))*B3
There are, no doubt, countless other ways of getting 180 from those input
values, but that is the most likely.
Another way of expressing the same thing would be =A3*(1-C3)*B3.
--
David Biddulph