Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Calculating a formula

I would like to create a formula in one cell that would calculate amounts in
a given range. For example:

Column A Column B
Apples $10
Oranges $20
Bananas $15
Apples $10
Pears $50
Apples $10

From the chart above, I can see that the amount spent on Apples was $30. I
would like to create a formula that would lookup Apples in column A and total
the corresponding amount from column B (without having to sort column A).

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100="Apples"),--(B1:B100))
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"WendyBTR8860" wrote:

I would like to create a formula in one cell that would calculate amounts in
a given range. For example:

Column A Column B
Apples $10
Oranges $20