-   -   formula not calculating right (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/213318-formula-not-calculating-right.html)

Marilyn

formula not calculating right

Hello in excel 2002
list price Units Discount Price
100 2 10.00% 80.00
columns a b c d consecutively.
this the formula I have in column D =A3-(A3*C3)*B3 result should be
180.00 . I get 80.00 How do I correct the formula ?
thanks in advance

Tanya M

formula not calculating right

It's the order of operations...

your formula should be: =(A3-(A3*C3))*B3

"Marilyn" wrote:

Hello in excel 2002
list price Units Discount Price
100 2 10.00% 80.00
columns a b c d consecutively.
this the formula I have in column D =A3-(A3*C3)*B3 result should be
180.00 . I get 80.00 How do I correct the formula ?
thanks in advance

Mike H

formula not calculating right

You need to force the orecedence with parenthesis

=(A3-A3*C3)*B3

Mike

"Marilyn" wrote:

Hello in excel 2002
list price Units Discount Price
100 2 10.00% 80.00
columns a b c d consecutively.
this the formula I have in column D =A3-(A3*C3)*B3 result should be
180.00 . I get 80.00 How do I correct the formula ?
thanks in advance

bpeltzer

formula not calculating right

You've applied the quantity to the discount but not to the list price.
Try =A3*B3*(1-C3)

"Marilyn" wrote:

Hello in excel 2002
list price Units Discount Price
100 2 10.00% 80.00
columns a b c d consecutively.
this the formula I have in column D =A3-(A3*C3)*B3 result should be
180.00 . I get 80.00 How do I correct the formula ?
thanks in advance

David Biddulph[_2_]

formula not calculating right

I don't know how arithmetic works in your country, but in the normal world:
=100-(100*10%)*2
=100-10*2
=80

What did you want to calculate if it wasn't
=A3-(A3*C3)*B3 ?
--
David Biddulph

"Marilyn" wrote in message
Hello in excel 2002
list price Units Discount Price
100 2 10.00% 80.00
columns a b c d consecutively.
this the formula I have in column D =A3-(A3*C3)*B3 result should be
180.00 . I get 80.00 How do I correct the formula ?
thanks in advance

David Biddulph[_2_]

formula not calculating right

If you want to ask a different question, which *would* give an answer of
180, you could calculate
=(100-10)*2 instead of =100-10*2
so if that is what you want you could change
=A3-(A3*C3)*B3 to =(A3-(A3*C3))*B3
There are, no doubt, countless other ways of getting 180 from those input
values, but that is the most likely.
Another way of expressing the same thing would be =A3*(1-C3)*B3.
--
David Biddulph

"Marilyn" wrote in message
Hello in excel 2002
list price Units Discount Price
100 2 10.00% 80.00
columns a b c d consecutively.
this the formula I have in column D =A3-(A3*C3)*B3 result should be
180.00 . I get 80.00 How do I correct the formula ?
thanks in advance

David Biddulph[_2_]

formula not calculating right

And if you need to remind yourself, for the future, of the precedence rules
for arithmetic operations, type the word "precedence" into Excel help.