Craig Roberts

Default Dropdown Size: How do I change?

I have a workbook and after opening it on another computer, all the
dropdowns are way too wide.

And how can I have them show 20 items rather than the default of 8?

Thanks,

Craig

Bob Umlas

Right-click the dropdown and you can change the 8 to any other number.
To make it less wide, right-click it and drag the right/left border to the
size you want.
It MAY have something to do with the screen resolution on the other
computers...?

Bob Umlas

"Craig Roberts" <Somewhere @ Lindstrom Minnesota USA wrote in message
I have a workbook and after opening it on another computer, all the
dropdowns are way too wide.

And how can I have them show 20 items rather than the default of 8?

Thanks,

Craig

Craig Roberts

Bob,

Thanks for a quick response.

I'm using Excel 2003 SP1.

But I must not be able to click in the right place.

I click the down arrow to open the dropdown.
then I try rightclicking around the edges and nothing special happens.

Please, where do I click?

Craig

"Bob Umlas" wrote in message
Right-click the dropdown and you can change the 8 to any other number.
To make it less wide, right-click it and drag the right/left border to the
size you want.
It MAY have something to do with the screen resolution on the other
computers...?

Bob Umlas

"Craig Roberts" <Somewhere @ Lindstrom Minnesota USA wrote in message
I have a workbook and after opening it on another computer, all the
dropdowns are way too wide.

And how can I have them show 20 items rather than the default of 8?

Thanks,

Craig

Debra Dalgleish

If these are data validation dropdown lists, you can't change the number
of rows, or control the width, which is normally the same as the column.
Occasionally the width increases mysteriously, usually when some cells
in the row have been merged.

If it's a combobox from the Control toolbox, you can change the number
of rows opening the Control toolbox. Switch to Design view, open the
Properties window, and change the ListRows properties.

If it's a combobox from the Forms toolbar, right-click the combobox, and
choose Format Control. On the Control tab, change the drop down lines.

To change the width of a combo box, drag one of the side handles.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Craig Roberts

Oh, the simplest approach has the least control...

Thanks so much Debra, and Bob, too.

I'm more than a bit smarter now.

Craig