Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ERS ERS is offline

Default Excel linking; Problems with source file

Hi,

I am creating an excel file that has all our forecasting information for
multiple geographies. I created 1 master file that has all the locations and
than linked files broken out by country that are filtered into by the main
source file.

Problem 1: A sort of the source file distorts the information in the linked
file. So if "apple" was in cell A3 of the source file but after I sorted
"orange" was in A3. The linked file now reads "orange" when I still need it
to read apple.
How can I link so that I can alter the views of the source document without
distorting the information in the linked files?

Problem 2:
How do I get the linked file to read newly added columns in the source file?

Last, is there a better way to do this? Basically the end goal is to create
an easy way to maintain an accurate forecast report where the corresponding
account managers can view their and only their accounts; and I can update one
report daily.