Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excell 2007: How to arrange cells in a column file alphabetically?

How can I arrange the data straight down in a column arrange alphabetically??
For instance I enter the name of all my business contacts in a cell, how
could I make it so that every time I enter a new name, it will file it
alphabetically? Thanks much
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can either sort the data manually or have a macro sort it automatically
whenever the data in the column is modified.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200817

"Vince" wrote:

How can I arrange the data straight down in a column arrange alphabetically??
For instance I enter the name of all my business contacts in a cell, how
could I make it so that every time I enter a new name, it will file it
alphabetically? Thanks much

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The simplest thing is to re-sort every so often but others may offer you a
VBA solution
best wishes

Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
remove caps from email

"Vince" wrote in message
How can I arrange the data straight down in a column arrange
alphabetically??
For instance I enter the name of all my business contacts in a cell, how
could I make it so that every time I enter a new name, it will file it
alphabetically? Thanks much

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excell 2007: How to arrange cells in a column file alphabetica

hi,

select entire names and key as alt+d and enter.

"Vince" wrote in message
How can I arrange the data straight down in a column arrange
alphabetically??
For instance I enter the name of all my business contacts in a cell, how
could I make it so that every time I enter a new name, it will file it
alphabetically? Thanks much

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When you select all of the cells and then immediately hit [Alt]+[D] followed
by [Enter] it is the same as going to Data | Sort. What will happen next is
that a dialog will open up to gather a little more about how to sort the
selected cells. You can probably just hit the [Enter] key or click the [OK]
button on that dialog to continue.

If you have related data in other columns on the same row with the names,
make sure you select all of the data in all rows/columns so that when you do
sort it, the related data on the rows goes with the names as they are sorted.

"Vince" wrote in message
How can I arrange the data straight down in a column arrange
alphabetically??
For instance I enter the name of all my business contacts in a cell, how
could I make it so that every time I enter a new name, it will file it
alphabetically? Thanks much

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Vince -

Select the column (click on the column letter heading).

On the Data ribbon, click the "Sort A to Z" icon (AZ with a down-pointing
arrow).

- Mike Middleton
http://www.DecisionToolworks.com
Decision Analysis Add-ins for Excel

"Vince" wrote in message
How can I arrange the data straight down in a column arrange
alphabetically??
For instance I enter the name of all my business contacts in a cell, how
could I make it so that every time I enter a new name, it will file it
alphabetically? Thanks much

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I would recommend you do use event code to sort automatically as you enter
names.

Very difficult to track any errors in input once the sort has taken place.

Make sure the name and info is correct then sort manually as others have
posted.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 12:52:01 -0800, Vince
wrote:

How can I arrange the data straight down in a column arrange alphabetically??
For instance I enter the name of all my business contacts in a cell, how
could I make it so that every time I enter a new name, it will file it
alphabetically? Thanks much

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think Gord left out a small word ... "not" between "I would recommend you
do" and "use event code..." as that would seem to go along with the rest of
his logic, which I tend to agree with - especially if the list is long at all.

wrote:

How can I arrange the data straight down in a column arrange alphabetically??
For instance I enter the name of all my business contacts in a cell, how
could I make it so that every time I enter a new name, it will file it
alphabetically? Thanks much

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

NOT! NOT!

Thanks for picking that up Jerry