Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default vlookup question

How would I look up a value in a list and return multiple corresponding
values and then add them up?

A B C
Paul 155 Pauk
Jake 34
Paul 145
Ann 222

=VLOOKUP(C1,$A$1:$B$4,2,TRUE))

Paul has two values that I would like to identify and add up.

Does anyone know of such a formula?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Paul has two values that I would like to identify and add up.

Use SUMIF
In D1, copied down: =SUMIF(A:A,C1,B:B)
where the unique names are listed in C1 down
(watch out for the unique name typos!)
--
Max
Singapore
"sross002" wrote:
How would I look up a value in a list and return multiple corresponding
values and then add them up?

A B C
Paul 155 Pauk
Jake 34
Paul 145
Ann 222

=VLOOKUP(C1,$A$1:$B$4,2,TRUE))

Paul has two values that I would like to identify and add up.

Does anyone know of such a formula?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

No, no, ditch the vlookup. Just use the SUMIF to get the totals for each
unique name. Thought that was the core issue?

You can use/apply autofilter on col A (insert a new header row first) to
easily retrieve the multiple line returns by name. Just choose the name from
the autofilter dropdown in A1.
--
"sross002" wrote:
Do I put that into the same cell that I have the VLOOKUP formula? How would
I squeeze it in with that formula?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 16:45:02 -0800, sross002
wrote:

How would I look up a value in a list and return multiple corresponding
values and then add them up?

A B C
Paul 155 Pauk
Jake 34
Paul 145
Ann 222

=VLOOKUP(C1,$A$1:$B$4,2,TRUE))

Paul has two values that I would like to identify and add up.

Does anyone know of such a formula?

Thanks in advance.

Another option would be to use a Pivot Table.

Have titles for the two columns. e.g. Name | Value

Then Insert/Pivot table.
Drag Name to Row labels
Drag Value to Data or Value area
If the Value does not SUM, right click and select field settings and
change it to SUM
Format and Rename columns as you prefer.

You can get a report like:

Value Totals
Ann 222
Jake 34
Paul 300
Grand Total 556
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

That's good. Could you spare a moment to press the YES buttons (like the one
below) in ALL responses which helped answer your query?
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
Downloads:20,500 Files:365 Subscribers:65
xdemechanik
---
"sross002" wrote:
THANKS!