Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Vlookup question

New to excell and i would like to utilize vlookup to avoid repetitive steps.
I have the formula for a two column list =VLOOKUP(A9,A1:B7,2,FALSE) but not
sure how to configure going horizontal like from A1 TO E1 can someone assit
please?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Use HLOOKUP. It works the same as VLOOKUP only horizontaly.

=HLOOKUP(A9,A1:E2,2,0)

In VLOOKUP you define the column_index_number but in HLOOKUP you define the
row_index_number.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"acss" wrote in message
New to excell and i would like to utilize vlookup to avoid repetitive
steps.
I have the formula for a two column list =VLOOKUP(A9,A1:B7,2,FALSE) but
not
sure how to configure going horizontal like from A1 TO E1 can someone
assit
please?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

I have my text value in a1 and would like a number to appear in e1 so in
your response how would i configure the formula?

"acss" wrote in message
New to excell and i would like to utilize vlookup to avoid repetitive
steps.
I have the formula for a two column list =VLOOKUP(A9,A1:B7,2,FALSE) but
not
sure how to configure going horizontal like from A1 TO E1 can someone
assit
please?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I may have misunderstood what you're trying to do.

Can you provide more specific details?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"acss" wrote in message
New to excell and i would like to utilize vlookup to avoid repetitive
steps.
I have the formula for a two column list =VLOOKUP(A9,A1:B7,2,FALSE) but
not
sure how to configure going horizontal like from A1 TO E1 can someone
assit
please?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

My goal is to have two lists, one for an description and another for an
account. I thought to have a drop down list in A2 for a DESCRIPTION and when
a certain description is selected then a corresponding account would appear
in E2. Is this not what vlookup is for? New to excell sorry for confusion!

"acss" wrote in message
New to excell and i would like to utilize vlookup to avoid repetitive
steps.
I have the formula for a two column list =VLOOKUP(A9,A1:B7,2,FALSE) but
not
sure how to configure going horizontal like from A1 TO E1 can someone
assit
please?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes, but you asked how to go from a vertical lookup to a horizontal lookup.

A1 = lookup value = X

Vertical lookup table in the range D1:E5

V...Bob
W...Sue
X...Sam
Y...Tia
Z...Tom

=VLOOKUP(A1,D1:E5,2,0) returns Sam

Horizontal lookup table in the range D1:H2

...V......W......X.......Y......Z
Bob...Sue...Sam....Tia...Tom

=HLOOKUP(A1,D1:H2,2,0) returns Sam

The only difference between H/VLOOKUP is in VLOOKUP you tell it what
*column* to look in for the result and with HLOOKUP you tell it what *row*
to look in for the result.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"acss" wrote in message
New to excell and i would like to utilize vlookup to avoid
repetitive
steps.
I have the formula for a two column list =VLOOKUP(A9,A1:B7,2,FALSE)
but
not
sure how to configure going horizontal like from A1 TO E1 can
someone
assit
please?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

At first i received a circular reference but now as i type x into a1 then i
get sam. In regards to expanding on the horizotal list , such as additional
data would you reccommend placing the list on another sheet out of end user
view and link the cells?

"acss" wrote in message
New to excell and i would like to utilize vlookup to avoid
repetitive
steps.
I have the formula for a two column list =VLOOKUP(A9,A1:B7,2,FALSE)
but
not
sure how to configure going horizontal like from A1 TO E1 can
someone
assit
please?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That just boils down to user preference.

You could put the table on one sheet (you can even hide that sheet) and use
the formula on another sheet:

=HLOOKUP(A1,Sheet10!D1:H2,2,0)

--
Biff