Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
acss acss is offline

Default Vlookup question

My goal is to have two lists, one for an description and another for an
account. I thought to have a drop down list in A2 for a DESCRIPTION and when
a certain description is selected then a corresponding account would appear
in E2. Is this not what vlookup is for? New to excell sorry for confusion!

"T. Valko" wrote:

I may have misunderstood what you're trying to do.

Can you provide more specific details?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"acss" wrote in message

I have my text value in a1 and would like a number to appear in e1 so in
your response how would i configure the formula?

"T. Valko" wrote:

Use HLOOKUP. It works the same as VLOOKUP only horizontaly.

=HLOOKUP(A9,A1:E2,2,0)

In VLOOKUP you define the column_index_number but in HLOOKUP you define
the
row_index_number.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"acss" wrote in message
New to excell and i would like to utilize vlookup to avoid repetitive
steps.
I have the formula for a two column list =VLOOKUP(A9,A1:B7,2,FALSE) but
not
sure how to configure going horizontal like from A1 TO E1 can someone
assit
please?