Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default A formula that grabs info from a specific tab

I want to set up 12 tabs, one for each month. Then I want to set up a series
of Vlookups on a 13th page, that will grab info based on a Drop down
selection of months. So if I select "JUN" in the drop down, it will VLOOKUP
info on the "JUN" tab. If I select "AUG", it will look in the "AUG" tab. How
might this be done.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Read in Help about the INDIRECT function and then return if more is needed
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Jaytee" wrote in message
I want to set up 12 tabs, one for each month. Then I want to set up a
series
of Vlookups on a 13th page, that will grab info based on a Drop down
selection of months. So if I select "JUN" in the drop down, it will
VLOOKUP
info on the "JUN" tab. If I select "AUG", it will look in the "AUG" tab.
How
might this be done.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

for cell j9, use data validation with a list of Jan, Feb, Mar,

then use this formula
=VLOOKUP(1,INDIRECT($J$9&"!A7:B21"),2)

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Jaytee" wrote in message
I want to set up 12 tabs, one for each month. Then I want to set up a
series
of Vlookups on a 13th page, that will grab info based on a Drop down
selection of months. So if I select "JUN" in the drop down, it will
VLOOKUP
info on the "JUN" tab. If I select "AUG", it will look in the "AUG" tab.
How
might this be done.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Nope, didn't quite follow that...
If the formula is : =JUN!A1, where do I insert an INDIRECT to allow the
"JUN" to change to "OCT", for instance?

=INDIRECT(B4!A1) where B4 is the drop down box of months, and A1 is the
reference on the monthly sheet didn't work.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Where j9 is your month in the drop down. Silly me. Since you said "lookup",
I thought you wanted VLOOKUP

=INDIRECT($J$9&"!b7")

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Jaytee" wrote in message
Nope, didn't quite follow that...
If the formula is : =JUN!A1, where do I insert an INDIRECT to allow the
"JUN" to change to "OCT", for instance?

=INDIRECT(B4!A1) where B4 is the drop down box of months, and A1 is the
reference on the monthly sheet didn't work.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

From your message "will VLOOKUP info on the "JUN" tab". Based on this
statement Don's answer addresses your question.

=VLOOKUP(A1,INDIRECT(B1&"!A1:F100"),2,FALSE)

If the drop down is in cell B1, and displays the sheet names, then this
formula looks up the entry in cell A1 in the tab referenced in B1, lets say
Jan, and looks at the range Jan!A1:F100 and returns the items in column 2
(here column B) if it finds the enter in A1 in the range A1:A100 on the Jan
sheet.

cheers,
Shane Devenshire