Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Conditional Formula

I'm looking at data for shipped quantity per order, and, it looks like some
of the data are duplicates. I think the best way to find these duplicates is
by a conditional formula. The hard part about this task is the amount of
orders. I have approximately 4,000 orders to look at -- and I want to find
these duplicates by item, by customer.

Column A - customer name
Column C - item description
Column G - shipped quantity

I want to use a conditional formula that identifies customer name, item
description, and quantity, then highlights any duplicates (even if the
duplicate happens more than once). Unfortunately, there is not a unique
number that I can use to distinguish one order for one customer and another
order for that same customer.

I would appreciate any help you can give me on this issue!

Thank you for reading my question!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Say Data in rows 2:101. Next to G you can enter the following formula:

=SUMPRODUCT((A$2:A2=A2)*(C$2:C2=C2)*(G$2:G2=G2))

Copying the formula down will start showing numbers greater then 1 as
duplicates start appearing. You can then filter on 1. If you want
Conditional Formatting select all cells A2:G101 and Formula Is:

=$G21

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

On Nov 25, 5:36*pm, Liz J wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Kostis,

Thank you for your help. I was able to get that "unique number" I was
telling you about -- the number that would distinguish one order for a
customer and then a different number for another order for the same customer.

This unique number is in column B and represents a "control number." How
would I apply the same question with this new number?

Thank you, thank you!

On Nov 25, 5:36 pm, Liz J wrote:
I'm looking at data for shipped quantity per order, and, it looks like some
of the data are duplicates. I think the best way to find these duplicates is
by a conditional formula. The hard part about this task is the amount of
orders. I have approximately 4,000 orders to look at -- and I want to find
these duplicates by item, by customer.

Column A - customer name
Column C - item description
Column G - shipped quantity

I want to use a conditional formula that identifies customer name, item
description, and quantity, then highlights any duplicates (even if the
duplicate happens more than once). Unfortunately, there is not a unique
number that I can use to distinguish one order for one customer and another
order for that same customer.

I would appreciate any help you can give me on this issue!

Thank you for reading my question!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am not sure I fully understand you. First of all, the formula I
posted DOES give you a unique number, if combined with the other
characteristics: it will show the 1st, 2nd, 3rd occurrence of the
combo.

Now, do you have a unique number in B or a number that SHOULD be
unique and you want to test for duplicates. The following formula
modification will work if you also have duplicates combining columns
A, B, C and G:

=SUMPRODUCT((A$2:A2=A2)*(B$2:B2=B2)*(C$2:C2=C2)*(G $2:G2=G2))

Is this what you want?

Kostis