Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default An alternate input method?

Hi folks! Lurker here using Excel 2003. :^)

My Project:
I have one file made up of a series of worksheets that exchange data
and formulae back and forth thanks to the user's input on the intial
Input worksheet. However, I am finding that as my versions mature,
this Input page (regardless of the pretty picture I put in the
background) still looks like a boring old Excel grid.

My Problem:
The problem lies in the fact that the Input page only needs
interaction in certain cells. Though I have tried inserting a code to
automatically move the active box upon hitting Enter, some guys still
use tab, some use arrow keys, others their mouse.

My Question:
Is there some kind of GUI I can use that can act as a 'surrogate'
Input page? I have yet to 'crack the code' on locking the cells not
to be edited, lest we forget that I am not working with the most savvy
group of Excel navigators (narrator inclusive.)

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers,
Craig
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

1. Select all the cells where the user can input data
2. Choose Format, Cells, Protection, and uncheck Locked, click OK
3. Choose Tools, Protection, Protect Worksheet, Uncheck Select Locked
Cells, add a password on not and click OK.

The users will only be able to move to the cells that you unlocked.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"TheMilkGuy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

You could try the following Macro to input data to specific cells, I would
also protect the sheet.

Sub Enter_Parameters()
Range("A1").Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = InputBox("Enter_Job_Name")
Range("A2").Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = InputBox("Enter_Quote_Number")
End Sub

This inputs data into Cells "A1" and "A2" and dispalys the instructions
"Enter Job Name" and "Enter Quote Number", I would assign a button to
activate this.
--
Regards
Warren

If this helps please click the Yes button.

"TheMilkGuy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Shane - great idea. Worked like a charm!

Thanks,
Craig

"TheMilkGuy" wrote:
[...]

Craig- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Warren,

That's a great piece of script... The only shortcoming is that if you
click cancel or leave the entry blank the resultant cell erases...
Otherwise, it's a great option that I may continue to toy with.

Thanks a lot!
Craig

"TheMilkGuy" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

You can add a default quantity or Text to the end, please see below, the
example is copied from a sheet I also have collegues using.

Range("D8").Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = InputBox("Enter_Number_Of_3M_Sides", "No_Of_Sides",
0)

This default returns "0"