Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Auto numbering inserted rows.

I need to have newly inserted rows auto-number upon insertion. I've searched
for any tips and the closest I can find is the List function on the Data
menu, but all it does for me is create a drop down sort option. Can anyone
give me any pointers. I'm fairly literate in excel, but seem to have a
'block' for this piece.

Thanks!!
--
Sherrill
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

The solution depends on exactly how auto you want it. If you are willing to
copy a formal down then your formula would be

=MAX($A$1:$A1)+1

Enter 1 in cell A1. Enter the formula in A2 and copy it down as far as you
want. When you insert a row fill the formula to that row.

If this is not Auto enough you will need to consider VBA most likely.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire