Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I set up hierarchy in Excel?

How do I set up a hierarchy in excel, the kind where you get a + and - in the
leftmost column, or top row, with numbers in upper left corner corresponding
to how many levels the hierarchy has? Clicking the + expands the sublevel of
the hierarchy for that row, clicking the - collapses it?

There is NO description of this in the Excel help documentation. I have it
now only because I have exported from a hierarchical grid (Infragistics grid)
to Excel -- it MUST be available outside of exports to...

Thank you!

--
Best regards,
Laila
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Forget hierarchy.
Look for Outlining in Excel Help
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200815

"LailaH" wrote:

How do I set up a hierarchy in excel, the kind where you get a + and - in the
leftmost column, or top row, with numbers in upper left corner corresponding
to how many levels the hierarchy has? Clicking the + expands the sublevel of
the hierarchy for that row, clicking the - collapses it?

There is NO description of this in the Excel help documentation. I have it
now only because I have exported from a hierarchical grid (Infragistics grid)
to Excel -- it MUST be available outside of exports to...

Thank you!

--
Best regards,
Laila

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There are two ways to do this. One is to go to DATA, SUBTOTAL. This will
add the "twisties" with subtotals on all the data in the table.

The other way is to go to DATA, GROUP AND OUTLINE. This will add the
"twisties" on the specific columns or rows that you want.