Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Linking cells

Hello,
I'm linking cells from one workbook to another and I'm trying to get them to
"stick", even when the source book is sorted differently. I have tried
absolute and non absolute references but everytime I sort the source, it
screws up the results from my links.
There has got to be an easy fix :)
Thank you,
Caroline
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Caroline,
Could you give an example of what you need, definetly what you are trying
below won't work since when sorting will change the order but the link will
stay with the cell you pointed. For sure there is a better way, please send
me an example

"Caroline" wrote:

Hello,
I'm linking cells from one workbook to another and I'm trying to get them to
"stick", even when the source book is sorted differently. I have tried
absolute and non absolute references but everytime I sort the source, it
screws up the results from my links.
There has got to be an easy fix :)
Thank you,
Caroline

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Insert a new column and create and index on it (i.e. 1,2,3. ...), naming it
original position, then you can sort back after the source file has changed.
--
If this posting was helpful, please click on the Yes button.
Regards,

Michael Arch.

"Caroline" wrote:

Hello,
I'm linking cells from one workbook to another and I'm trying to get them to
"stick", even when the source book is sorted differently. I have tried
absolute and non absolute references but everytime I sort the source, it
screws up the results from my links.
There has got to be an easy fix :)
Thank you,
Caroline

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Deb Deb is offline

Hi there, Eduardo I know that you asked Caroline to give you an example but
I have one that I am working on now....if you could help...

I have a worksheet that contains data regarding contracts that we have. Now
in column A I have the contract number and line 1 may be the first # but then
line 2 maybe the contract number and A001 for an amendment. In another
column I have term dates. My boss wants me to sort by term date yet
everytime I do that, the contract #'s get mixed and I can't keep the
contract's and their amendments together. How can I lock lines together and
then sort so that the contract and its other line items stay together as a
"family"

Thanks! Deb

"Caroline" wrote:

Hello,
I'm linking cells from one workbook to another and I'm trying to get them to
"stick", even when the source book is sorted differently. I have tried
absolute and non absolute references but everytime I sort the source, it
screws up the results from my links.
There has got to be an easy fix :)
Thank you,
Caroline

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Deb,
If I didn't misunderstood what you have to do when sorting you have to
select all columns and sort by the column needed in that way the information
will stay together. You can as well add different criterias when sorting for
example in ascending order the column related to the dates and in descending
order as a 2nd category by policy #

"Caroline" wrote:

Hello,
I'm linking cells from one workbook to another and I'm trying to get them to
"stick", even when the source book is sorted differently. I have tried
absolute and non absolute references but everytime I sort the source, it
screws up the results from my links.
There has got to be an easy fix :)
Thank you,
Caroline

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think I understand what you're saying with the extra column but it seems
like a roundabout way and I'd have to make sure the source file is sorted
properly before I even look at the destination file -and these files are
shared, so it wouldn't be convenient.
Thanks anyways!