Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Date Display

A simple question, I hope. I select custom display of "mmm-dd".
I'm used to my old Excel where I enter "11-5" which displays "Nov 05". When
I try this with this new Excel it displays "May 11".
Yes, I can enter "5-11" & get "Nov 05" but is there a way to allow me to
enter it in the old way (that I'm used to)??
--
Stan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It is probably due to the default date format on your computer...

Try 11/5/2008 in any cell which is not formatted as mmm-dd then format it to
mmm-dd. I think you will get 5-11...

You can change your date settings through Control Panel | Regional and
Language Settings.

"stallen34" wrote:

A simple question, I hope. I select custom display of "mmm-dd".
I'm used to my old Excel where I enter "11-5" which displays "Nov 05". When
I try this with this new Excel it displays "May 11".
Yes, I can enter "5-11" & get "Nov 05" but is there a way to allow me to
enter it in the old way (that I'm used to)??
--
Stan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

By old and new what do you mean, which versions? On my machine 2003 and
2007 give Nov 05. I think you should check the country settings on your
machine which suggests this is not a version issue but a computer setting.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"stallen34" wrote:

A simple question, I hope. I select custom display of "mmm-dd".
I'm used to my old Excel where I enter "11-5" which displays "Nov 05". When
I try this with this new Excel it displays "May 11".
Yes, I can enter "5-11" & get "Nov 05" but is there a way to allow me to
enter it in the old way (that I'm used to)??
--
Stan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You'll just have to accept that, exceptionally, something has been written
from a British point of view! Next thing will be spellchecker correctly
accepting 'colour' !!
Only having fun. Don't have the answer but will try.