Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dil Dil is offline

Default Bringing over text fields into pivot tables

I've got a table of about 100 columns and 80 rows. I'm creating a simple
pivot table to bring over whichever columns are appropriate for a given
report. Some of these fields are text columns, but I am struggling bringing
over text fields into the pivot table.

Does anyone know how to bring over values (vs. sum or count) and text values
into a pivot table?

Thanks so much.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just bring them into the Row area instead of the Data area. Since it will
automatically give you an "outline" format with subtotals, just right-click
on any row item, select "Field Settings" and select the "None" radio button
under "Subtotals" to turn off the outlining feature.
--
Please remember to indicate when the post is answered so others can benefit
from it later.

"Dil" wrote:

I've got a table of about 100 columns and 80 rows. I'm creating a simple
pivot table to bring over whichever columns are appropriate for a given
report. Some of these fields are text columns, but I am struggling bringing
over text fields into the pivot table.

Does anyone know how to bring over values (vs. sum or count) and text values
into a pivot table?

Thanks so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dil Dil is offline

Thanks for the post - I tried that, the problem is the data is more
meaningful when placed next betweem a particular field. For example, I'm
tracking costs and have a description field of the type of cost it is. I've
got about 4 columns of cost data, 1 column of comments, and then other data
fields. Is there a way to intersperse these types of columns?

Thanks again!

"Dil" wrote:

I've got a table of about 100 columns and 80 rows. I'm creating a simple
pivot table to bring over whichever columns are appropriate for a given
report. Some of these fields are text columns, but I am struggling bringing
over text fields into the pivot table.

Does anyone know how to bring over values (vs. sum or count) and text values
into a pivot table?

Thanks so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If your numerical data is not a sum or count, then you can just import
everything into the Row area. Otherwise, a pivot table may not be your
answer because it cannot import text values into the Data area. Instead you
might use filters, lookup tables, or arrays.