Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Data Validation On A Cells With Data From A Different Spreadsheet

Hi All,

I know that in Excel it says that you cannot reference a diffetent worksheet
when it comes to data validation, however is there any macro that I could use
or is there a formular or is there any other way ?

Your help would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks in advance
Nat Govender
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can reference another sheet!

Just add a name to that sheet range, InsertNameDefine..., and use the name
rather than the range directly.

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Nat Govender" <Nat wrote in message
Hi All,

I know that in Excel it says that you cannot reference a diffetent
worksheet
when it comes to data validation, however is there any macro that I could
use
or is there a formular or is there any other way ?

Your help would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks in advance
Nat Govender

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One caveat: In Data|validation|settings you have to precede the list source
with "=", so if your range name is "data'" you have to input "=data"
(without quotes)

Joerg

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
You can reference another sheet!

Just add a name to that sheet range, InsertNameDefine..., and use the
name rather than the range directly.

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Nat Govender" <Nat wrote in message
Hi All,

I know that in Excel it says that you cannot reference a diffetent
worksheet
when it comes to data validation, however is there any macro that I could
use
or is there a formular or is there any other way ?

Your help would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks in advance
Nat Govender

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Data Validation On A Cells With Data From A Different Spreadsh

Hi,

I have tried that but it does not work.

I want to generate a Validation from a totally different speadsheet.

Thanks in advance
Nat Govender

"Joerg Mochikun" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well, I tested it and it works ("data" was a range on Sheet2, the drop-down
was on Sheet1). I hope that with " totally different speadsheet" you don't
mean workbook...
Joerg

"Joerg Mochikun" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Debra Dalgleish has the how-to for using data from another workBOOK for DV.

Note the source book must be open.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 21:55:01 -0800, Nat Govender
wrote:

Hi Joerg,

Sorry, I did mean workbook.