Andrew Lindsay via OfficeKB.com

Default Data Validation (in a range of cells)

I would like to use the data (menu) / validation to constrain the input to
a range of cells. I only want the user to be able to enter a date value OR
the phrase "TBD".

Is this possible using the validation tool?

If not, I'm open for suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks,
Andrew
Peo Sjoblom

A date in excel is just a formatted number, so yoy can use a number to test
like if your range is A1:A10, select it with A1 as the active cell (if you
select from A1 it will be) , do datavalidationcustom and use

=OR(ISNUMBER(A1),A1="TBD")

you can validate for date but not add an extra condition under
validationdate etc

Regards,

Peo sjoblom

"Andrew Lindsay via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

I would like to use the data (menu) / validation to constrain the input to
a range of cells. I only want the user to be able to enter a date value OR
the phrase "TBD".

Is this possible using the validation tool?

If not, I'm open for suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew Lindsay via OfficeKB.com

Duh! Thanks. I didn't think of going about it that way.

I did expand on your idea a little by forcing them to enter a value equal
to or greater than today, but less than 180 out.

=OR(AND(A1=TODAY(),A1<TODAY()+180),A1="TBD")

Thanks!
Andrew