Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jan Jan is offline

Default Data Validation based on other cells

I have 3 cells set up with data validation. The data validation for each cell
is a list with only one option, to select and X.

Is it possible to keep the data validation in these cells, which will allow
the user to select and X, but combine it with a formula based on the
following.

If cell I38 has an X, then the X can not be selected for cells L38 or N38.
If cell L38 has an X, then the X can not be selected in cells I38 or N38.
And last, if cell N38 has an X, then the X can not be select in cells I38 or
L38.

If this is possible, please explain how. If not, is there another
alternative?

TIA
Jan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jan Jan is offline

I must use a "custom" data validation to use this, but then there is no drop
down arrow to select X.

"Teethless mama" wrote:

Data Validation

=COUNTIF(I38:N38,"X")=1

"Jan" wrote:

I have 3 cells set up with data validation. The data validation for each cell
is a list with only one option, to select and X.

Is it possible to keep the data validation in these cells, which will allow
the user to select and X, but combine it with a formula based on the
following.

If cell I38 has an X, then the X can not be selected for cells L38 or N38.
If cell L38 has an X, then the X can not be selected in cells I38 or N38.
And last, if cell N38 has an X, then the X can not be select in cells I38 or
L38.

If this is possible, please explain how. If not, is there another
alternative?

TIA
Jan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In your workbook, create a range named SelectX, that contains one cell,
with an X in it. There are instructions here for naming a cell:

http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html

Then, select the cells where you want data validation lists
Choose DataValidation
For Allow, choose List
In the Source box, enter:
=IF(OR($I38="X",$L38="X",$N38="X"),OFFSET($A$1,0,0 ,0,1),SelectX)

Jan wrote:
I must use a "custom" data validation to use this, but then there is no drop
down arrow to select X.

"Teethless mama" wrote:

Data Validation

=COUNTIF(I38:N38,"X")=1