Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Is there a way to color a cell if it meets specific condition

Hi

I have data which is segregated into 5 trypes A,B,C,D & E. If 'A' appears in
cell A1, is there a way to color A1 in green,'B' in A1 then in 'yellow' etc.

In short I am asking whether we have something like 'color if' function. I
am using Office 2003.

Thanks in advance.
Regds

Sekhar
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Sekhar;
It is possible but limmited to three colors by cell. Excell 2007, in theory,
makes this unlimmited because they saw the need for that option as it has
been getting popular. Your choice is to use what is called "Conditional
Format" under the Format menu. Let me know how it goes.

Argy

"Sekhar" wrote:

Hi

I have data which is segregated into 5 trypes A,B,C,D & E. If 'A' appears in
cell A1, is there a way to color A1 in green,'B' in A1 then in 'yellow' etc.

In short I am asking whether we have something like 'color if' function. I
am using Office 2003.

Thanks in advance.
Regds

Sekhar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you Argy & Arul.

Conditional format was useful, but as you said limited to 3.
Is it possible t have more than 3, like say 12.

Thanks
Sekhar

"Sekhar" wrote:

Hi

I have data which is segregated into 5 trypes A,B,C,D & E. If 'A' appears in
cell A1, is there a way to color A1 in green,'B' in A1 then in 'yellow' etc.

In short I am asking whether we have something like 'color if' function. I
am using Office 2003.

Thanks in advance.
Regds

Sekhar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Actually speaking Condtional formatting can have only 3 conditions (till
excel 2003), but most pople forget that there is also a default conditon, one
you do it yourself for example.

you want to color 4 colors red, blue green and yello on diff, conditons, hat
you can do is color all the cells , say red, and then put the 3 conditions.

so you will have 4 choices.

--
Kind Regards,
Satti Charvak

"Sekhar" wrote:

Hi

I have data which is segregated into 5 trypes A,B,C,D & E. If 'A'
appears in
cell A1, is there a way to color A1 in green,'B' in A1 then in 'yellow'
etc.

In short I am asking whether we have something like 'color if'
function. I
am using Office 2003.

Thanks in advance.
Regds

Sekhar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

David;
Very good point. Would you mind sharing how do you improve the number of
conditionals using VB under Excel 2003? Thanks.

Argy!

"Sekhar" wrote:

Hi

I have data which is segregated into 5 trypes A,B,C,D & E. If 'A'
appears in
cell A1, is there a way to color A1 in green,'B' in A1 then in 'yellow'
etc.

In short I am asking whether we have something like 'color if'
function. I
am using Office 2003.

Thanks in advance.
Regds

Sekhar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Very good point. Of course, then you need to understand that you are using
the default format as a authomatic format that would work if neither of the
three conditions work. Again, very good catch.

Argy