savior1

Default Drop Down list in duplicate

How do I collapse duplicate records and place a drop down list with the
values in the fields causing duplicate records in my spreadsheet?
Otto Moehrbach

Huh?? Try that again with some examples of what you have and what you want
to have. Don't attach a file to your post. Just explain it. HTH Otto
"savior1" wrote in message
How do I collapse duplicate records and place a drop down list with the
values in the fields causing duplicate records in my spreadsheet?

savior1

Row 1: Column A has value "Microsoft" and column B has "Excel"
Row 2: Column A has value "Microsoft" and column B has "Access"
Row 3: Column A has value "Microsoft" and column B has "Word"

Is there a way to easily collapse Rows 1, 2 and 3 into Row 1 with a drop
down box in column B containing a list with the values "Excel", "Access",
"Word"?

"savior1" wrote in message
How do I collapse duplicate records and place a drop down list with the
values in the fields causing duplicate records in my spreadsheet?

Otto Moehrbach

Now that is a clear and concise explanation.
If you're asking if Excel has a built-in feature to do this for you, the
answer is no.
You can obviously do this manually with a sort on the first column and a
lot of cutting and pasting and setting up Data Validation cells. If you
have a relatively small amount of data, I would recommend doing it manually.
Otherwise, VBA would be the solution.
If you want to go the VBA way and you need help with it, send me a file
with a sample of what you have and I'll write up something for you. My
email address is . Remove the "nop" from this address.
One question. What do you want to do when the item in Column A has only
one item in Column B? IOW, do you still want a drop-down in Column B with
only the one item or just the one item without the drop-down? HTH Otto