Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default multiply negative

Please forgive simplistic question but I am just about brain dead from lack
of sleep in the middle of physical inventory. I have a listing of balances
of items and their standard costs. I have some negative balances/quantities
on some items (don't ask) so I need to get a column that shows the Cost *
Quantity. My negative quantities are coming in like 1.00- for negative 1.
So I need to show for each item the quantity and its total value negative or
positive.
Item Qty Cost each Total Value
A 24.64- $2.65 $-65.296

I am totally drasing a blank. Can anyone help?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the Qty column, do datatext to columns, click next twice and under
advanced make sure "Trailing minus for negative numbers" is checked, then
click OK and finish. That should convert them to leading negatives then just
use a regular multiplication like

=B2*C2

where B2 is Qty and C2 cost

Peo Sjoblom

"amaries" wrote in message
Please forgive simplistic question but I am just about brain dead from
lack
of sleep in the middle of physical inventory. I have a listing of
balances
of items and their standard costs. I have some negative
balances/quantities
on some items (don't ask) so I need to get a column that shows the Cost *
Quantity. My negative quantities are coming in like 1.00- for negative 1.
So I need to show for each item the quantity and its total value negative
or
positive.
Item Qty Cost each Total Value
A 24.64- $2.65 $-65.296

I am totally drasing a blank. Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

If I understand your question correctly, then
=ABS(B2)*C2

--
Regards
Roger Govier