Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Bob is offline

Default Changing and Adding data through ODBC connection

Hi,

We have data on a mysql backend database server that is entered through the
web. We want to link to the data and run some complex analysis of it. We
need to do this in Excel for two reasons. One, all of the users know Excel
and are comfortable with it. Two, the formulas that just come with Excel and
are easy to do would be a lot of hours to duplicate in Access.

I've got the ODBC connection set up and working and Excel correctly pulls in
the data.

But every so often, people enter the wrong data on the website and we need
to correct it. The problem is that the changes in the linked data don't flow
back to the database. In Access, if I change 1.1 to 1.3, it immediately
updates the database backend through the ODBC connection. But if I do the
same thing in Excel, the change only lasts until the next time Excel or the
user updates the data. This happens with data entry for new figures too.

Ideally our users would use one consistent interface, Excel, for both data
analysis and the occasional data entry.

We are using Office 2007 on Vista and XP, all fully patched. Is it possible
to make Excel use the ODBC connection to write changes/additions back to the
database?

Thanks,

Bob