Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Empty Cell

Hi all,
I have a problem with graphic presentation once it presents a line where it
should be nothing. To be honest the real problem is with my graphic data
source, that's because on my source column i'm using a formula like
"=IF(A1="";"";A1)" and when i get no value ("") the graphic present it as 0.
But if in those cells where the value is "" i delete the formula, then my
graphic presents nothing, exactly what i wanted once is nothing there. For
what i understand that's because Empty cells and Blank cells are two
different things, and the "" is a blank cell. My question is, is there any
way to make that cell empty? Something like "IF(A1="";EMPTY;A1)".

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,
Pete and also Bernard, that gave a similar solution, the problem with your
solution is that, when i have a line graph it doesn't brake the graphic in
oposition to the empty cell. Imagine that i have a grapth with month Jan, Feb
and Mar, with Jan = 10; Feb = Empty; Mar = 15. My actual solution shoes a
point on value 10 another one on 0 and another one on 15 for the
correspondent month and traces lines between them, your solution on the other
hand, shows a point on value 10 for january another one on point 15 for march
and traces the graphic between those two points (a line between them as if
Feb doesn't exist). But if i turn Feb as empty i get a value for january (on
value 10) another on March (on value 15) and nothing on february and no lines
between this points (exactly what i wanted).

I hope my explanation is clear.

Thanks!

"Pete_UK" wrote:

You can amend your formula to this:

=IF(A1="";NA();A1)

This will return the error #N/A to the cell which will not mess up your
graphs. You can hide the #N/A using conditional formatting so that it looks
like an empty cell.

Hope this helps.

Pete