Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Clear the file open file name dropdown list

Hello
Excel 2003
When I click File / Open, the dialog box displays a dropdown list with
file names. How can I clear that list, if this is possible.
TIA
Daniel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you. That's not exactly what I am looking for. When I click on
File, then Open, the file open dialog box displays a drop down list
facing "File Name". I want to clear the drop down list content. The
files here are not the most recently used. I even don't know the logics
of it. There seems to be old files.
Daniel

"Daniel.C" wrote:

Hello
Excel 2003
When I click File / Open, the dialog box displays a dropdown list with
file names. How can I clear that list, if this is possible.
TIA
Daniel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Daniel
When you use FileOpen, it will show the files as in the folder that has
been set under ToolsOptionsGeneralDefault File location.

The only way to clear the list would be
1. Set the location to be a new blank folder
2. Navigate to the existing folder using My ComputerDelete the files that
are there ( ONLY IF you are sure you don't need them any more).

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Daniel.C" wrote:

Hello
Excel 2003
When I click File / Open, the dialog box displays a dropdown list with
file names. How can I clear that list, if this is possible.
TIA
Daniel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks, Roger, but it still doesn't work. The files don't exist any more
.. Recreating them is of no use either. I can't find them in the
registry, too.

Daniel
Roger Govier a écrit :
Hi Daniel
When you use FileOpen, it will show the files as in the folder that has
been set under ToolsOptionsGeneralDefault File location.

The only way to clear the list would be
1. Set the location to be a new blank folder
2. Navigate to the existing folder using My ComputerDelete the files
that are there ( ONLY IF you are sure you don't need them any more).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Daniel

So, if you change the default File location to an empty folder, close Excel,
then open Excel again, are you saying that it still shows those files when
you go to FileOpen?

--
Regards
Roger Govier

Roger Govier a écrit :
Hi Daniel
When you use FileOpen, it will show the files as in the folder that has
been set under ToolsOptionsGeneralDefault File location.

The only way to clear the list would be
1. Set the location to be a new blank folder
2. Navigate to the existing folder using My ComputerDelete the files
that are there ( ONLY IF you are sure you don't need them any more).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Roger Govier a exprimé avec précision :
Hi Daniel

So, if you change the default File location to an empty folder, close Excel,
then open Excel again, are you saying that it still shows those files when
you go to FileOpen?

Sorry, but yes. These are shadow files, one has no extension, but they
are, yes, in the list. They are, too when I install XL2007 after
XL2003. XL2007 grab them back in its own dropdown list !

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Roger

I think Daniel is talking about the FileOpenFile Name dropdown
list.............just above File Type dialog.

I don't get those created due to some setting in Windows(or it may be in
TweakUI)

I think they can be cleared by clearing Internet History but not sure.

I regularly run CleanCache 3.3 also.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 16:55:47 +0100, "Roger Govier"
<roger@technology4unospamdotcodotuk wrote:

Hi Daniel

So, if you change the default File location to an empty folder, close Excel,
then open Excel again, are you saying that it still shows those files when
you go to FileOpen?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think Daniel is talking about the FileOpenFile Name dropdown
list.............just above File Type dialog.

That's right.

I don't get those created due to some setting in Windows(or it may be in
TweakUI)

I think they can be cleared by clearing Internet History but not sure.

No. it doesn't has any effect.

I regularly run CleanCache 3.3 also.

I'll try it as soon as possible.
Thanks.