Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel Drop down

Hi Trying to make a drop down list in excel. I have tried the validation
method and cannot seen to get the path correct. I have a speadsheet with say
7 worksheets the first being the main one the rest hold individual data that
I want each cell in the 1st table to look up and give me the choice of
entering individual items from the drop down. What I tried to do was in the
Validation screen selected List but cannot figure out the source info to
enter I have tried =Area!A1:A5 but does not got to sheets 2 called Area and
give me a drop down choich of the data help in cells A1 to A4. Any advice
would be much appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Two steps :
1. Insert Name Define for your validation list ( say YourListName)
2. Data Validation Allow ... select List, and in the Source field,
just type in
= YourListName

Do not forget the equal sign before the name you have picked ...

HTH
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Completed that. Now is there a way for me to enter data from the drop down
boxes and save it somewhere and when I click a save button or something it
goes into another spreadsheet and clears the form ready for the next entry,
therefore giving me a completed list of entries for the day on a seperate
spreadsheet?

"Carim" wrote:

Hi,

Two steps :
1. Insert Name Define for your validation list ( say YourListName)
2. Data Validation Allow ... select List, and in the Source field,
just type in
= YourListName

Do not forget the equal sign before the name you have picked ...

HTH

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave Peterson has written some instructions for storing entered data:

http://www.contextures.com/xlForm02.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have now completed the set up as you suggested and used the template. I
now have an Input form, Dtasheet and Lookuplist. Please can you advise how I
can add new itemes to the lookuplist I have 3 columns in the lookuplist sheet
a, b and C and need to know how I can add items so as they will show on the
drop down lists in the input form. Your kind help would be very much
appreciated

"Carim" wrote:

Hi,

Two steps :
1. Insert Name Define for your validation list ( say YourListName)
2. Data Validation Allow ... select List, and in the Source field,
just type in
= YourListName

Do not forget the equal sign before the name you have picked ...

HTH

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
www.contextures.com/tiptech.html
Blog: http://blog.contextures.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can create named ranges, as described he

http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html

Then, use those names in the data validation drop downs, as described he